Wednesday, October 19, 2011

Welcome to the machine.

Here we are at the very beginning. Taking a cue from and giving a giant nod to the CRPG Addict, I have decided to blog my way through graphical adventure games, from (almost) earliest to the latest. Occasionally, I intend to throw in some independent games from the last few years that I have enjoyed, and some that I have hated. I don't promise any lack of bias or subjectivity, as I know what I like and it obviously may not coincide with what you like.

        I grew up playing adventure games. The earliest computer game I ever played was the original King's Quest, on my grandmother's old IBM computer. I had to be about 4 or 5 years old. Hell, that game taught me to spell and type. Sierra was the king of adventure games. Lucasarts games were okay, but I REALLY enjoyed Sierra games. King's Quest, Space Quest, the Colonel's Bequest, Police Quest, Quest for Glory, the list goes on. Never played Leisure Suit Larry for some reason. Maybe because I was 5. Anyway, I have a tendancy to ramble. I'll let Steve take over whenever I can drag him away from Heroes VI.

        The first game I'm going to play for this thing is called Below the Root. It's the second game on the wikipedia list of graphical adventure games. The first, Portopia Renzoku Satsujin Jiken or The Portopia Serial Murder Case, is A.) a japanese game and B.) not for the PC. I'd run it on NES emulation, but frankly my video card died and I have some crappy PCI thing in there now that I can't even run NEStopia on. So, on to Below the Root. It's from 1984 and was made by Windham Classics, which wikipedia tells me is a division of Spinnaker Software. We'll get to it in the next posting.

No comments:

Post a Comment